Friday 3 October 2014

www.mind.org.uk and What is depression?

www.mind.org.uk



Make note of the above website - wherever in the World you might reside.


This is where my journey began, and I'm glad it did. Please make sure you follow their I NEED URGENT HELP  link if you, or someone you know, is in crisis.




What is depression then? Other than just an immense pain in the arse for all concerned. Well, that seems to be a good question. Some think it's caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain because medication redresses the balance and can alleviate the symptoms. However, there's a huge question mark over whether there is a chemical imbalance which is causing the depression or something else which is causing the chemical imbalance! Hmm...not easy eh?!

It certainly seems to be something which is triggered within us. I wonder whether that means we are all equally susceptible. I wonder, also, whether there is a hereditary connection - largely this is on my mind as I have children to think about (and worry about, as parents do!)

Anyway...I needed to start somewhere and that somewhere was the MIND website. It just goes to show how hard it is to diagnose depression accurately. When a list of possible symptoms includes 'not sleeping as much as usual' juxtaposed with 'sleeping more than normal', it makes you wonder! My knowledge of depression to this point is that which I identify in my partner. My greatest challenge though is sifting the wheat from the chaff, as it were. Allow me to explain...

I find it hard to accept that EVERYTHING my partner does which annoys me can be blamed on depression. Not doing the housework ("because I didn't notice it needed doing"), spending hours buried in a book while I'm run ragged from dawn til death, playing candy crush ("because I'm bored"), avoiding making any business calls ("because I can't do it").

And saying any of this out loud makes me feel on a par with a holocaust denier!

Does anyone else ever wonder how much depression is to blame for? Honestly?

Follow on Facebook and Twitter @PondersNeverEnd or use #CrazyStupidDepression

No comments:

Post a Comment