Monday 20 October 2014

Mirror, Mirror...

Today was one of those days when I just couldn't get anything done. Not that I could be bothered to even try. I've been fighting off a lurgy for over a week now and it seemed to finally take me down today.


What was interesting was that my sufferer seemed to suffer some reflected lack of motivation - as if my sloth-like response to this virus was contagious. Don't misunderstand - he didn't suddenly tumble back down the hill into some pit of darkness. He just couldn't seem to get started on almost anything.

I used my usual nudging techniques to point him in the right direction but to no avail.

When we talked about it at lunchtime, he pointed out that he finds it a real struggle when I'm out of action. I don't micro-manage his time to ensure he gets things done - far from it. I try very hard to leave him to his own devices. For some reason, though, he can't kick-start his day if he knows I'm not up to much.

Is this the essence of co-dependence? It seems like something other than that. But I'm not sure exactly what! Is it just an excuse for having a lazy day too? Can it be overcome? How?!

Reflecting on the day that's drawing to a close, my sufferer has actually been pretty busy. EVen if he doesn't realise it. He has cared for our young boys, made lunches, cooked dinner, read stories, written a guest post for me (without being asked!), tidied a mountain of toys away, bathed the  boys and done the bedtime routine. Not bad at all really.

Maybe it's more about feeling unproductive than actually being unproductive. Damn those pesky feelings! ;)

Follow on Facebook and Twitter @PondersNeverEnd or use #CrazyStupidDepression

No comments:

Post a Comment