Saturday 25 October 2014

Life is a Rollercoaster

There's the old cliché that life is a rollercoaster. And although it sounds like something that should be on some motivational poster, it is never truer than when you have depression in your life.

One of the things I am finding particularly hard is adapting to the ups and downs. Although in general my Sufferer is doing far better than he was, there is still the feeling of taking steps forward and then back. Of course, that's entirely natural. Depression doesn't go away overnight. If anyone tries to tell you otherwise, they're reading far too many motivational posters!

My problem is trying not to take the blips, bumps and backwards steps personally. I don't handle them too well so far. Nor do I seem to be able to maintain any sense of perspective. It's as if we've dropped off the edge of a cliff rather than having encountered a familiar little bump on the road.

Perhaps my problem is that I am an optimist - or at least I try to be. I am always looking for hope to cling to. When things are going well, or at least improving, I have hope. I pin all my hopes on this being the beginning of the next big step in the right direction.

I know I shouldn't. How do I stop this? Will it just take time? Practice? Should I be more pessimistic so that I can always be pleasantly surprised?

I'll figure something out!

Follow on Facebook and Twitter @PondersNeverEnd or use #CrazyStupidDepression

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had an easy answer for this, too. I find, when my husband is going through a mood swing, that if I just calmly state what's happening, sometimes that help brings him into the moment. "You're raising your voice." "You seem very upset." "What can I do to help?" "You're snapping at me." Etc. Calm voice and face is vital. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

    ReplyDelete