Thursday 9 October 2014

GOAL!




There is nothing more intimidating than a blank page.

This is true in blogging as it is in life.

Sometimes having too many possibilities leads to a lack of focus.

It can be overwhelming.



Depression can feel just like that. And it is something my Sufferer struggles with. Everything in life seems so huge that there’s nowhere to begin. The end aim is just too huge and distant it seems entirely unachievable. And so, nothing happens. Nothing gets done. Day after day, the same pattern emerges and it is soul-destroying.

One way to overcome this is through goal-setting. Many of us have come across the concept of setting SMART goals. To be SMART, a goal must be:

Specific            “I want to lose 10 lbs” not “I want to lose weight”
Measurable       “I will be able to cook 5 new recipes” not “I will be a better cook”
Attainable         “I want to learn how to play euphonium” not “I want to grow wings and fly”
Relevant           “I will learn French before our holiday in France” not “I’ll learn Greek…”
Time-bound      “By Friday…” not “…soon”

There are variations but they’re basically making the same point with alternative vocabulary! It’s just common sense really but it helps to have a little mnemonic as a reminder.

This method works by breaking down the enormous task ahead – climbing out of your depression hole – and allows the Sufferer to focus on a teeny tiny step – but a step in the right direction no less. Each goal is achieved and then another is set. The mind is re-trained to realise that it can still accomplish things.
Not only is this a way to begin taking those little steps towards recovery, there are other excellent reasons to set goals.

  1. We have a focus.
  2. We become mobilised – we have a direction to be heading in.
  3. We gain persistence.
  4. We are motivated to find ways of achieving each goal.
The first goal my Sufferer has set himself is to eat one banana every day. [If this seems entirely random, please read my post regarding the connections between food and depression!] I’ve helped him to achieve this by buying plenty of them! But I know I can’t be the one to set the goals for him – that would defeat the object and leave him with yet another reason to feel he is being put under pressure and at risk of failing – and nobody needs that. 

All I can do is encourage him to keep setting new goals that fit the criteria. And, little by little, he will hopefully find things gliding back into perspective and our lives will be able to start moving forwards once again.

Please feel free to share your experiences. Or just leave a comment to say you dropped by. Good luck all!

Follow on Facebook and Twitter @PondersNeverEnd or use #CrazyStupidDepression

No comments:

Post a Comment